Tuesday 13 August 2019

Karen's Tuesday Tips

Backing up your site, FTC compliance, and laws of marketing you shouldn't ignore
Karen's Tuesday Tips
Please be aware that I may be compensated (at no additional cost to you) if you purchase through the referral links in this email

Hi again gang!


So here's what's had me thinking the past week...

What I've been reading:

The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing

This one is a classic I picked up off my shelf to revisit and I thought I should also share it with you.

It was written by 2 of the world's most well-known marketing strategists Al Reis and Jack trout and I promise it's a read you will enjoy and contains information you can put into use on your website immediately.


Find out more HERE.

Quote I've been contemplating:

"You can buy attention (advertising). You can beg for attention from the media (PR). You can bug people one at a time to get attention (sales). Or you can earn attention by creating something interesting and valuable and then publishing it online for free." - David Meerman Scott

What I've been doing at the blog:

So you might have been hearing about compliance with FTC endorsement guidelines lately (it's even in the top of this email, see it?) Much of my work this week has been to ensure that StartBloggingOnline.com is following these guidelines properly.

While I am not allowed to give you any legal advice on how to complete this for yourself, here are links to some information on this subject so that you can ensure you are covered.


If you are wondering how I am dealing with this, you can head over to the site and look for the disclaimer appearing within the articles.

This may or may not be sufficient for you, I suggest you do your own diligence.

I am using the "alert" Elementor feature to put these disclosures in place, and under the advanced tab of these alerts under "Motion Effects" they are set to sticky "Top".

To insert them sitewide quickly and easily you will need the Ad Inserter plugin I mentioned in last weeks email, along with Elementor Pro (so you can save it as a global element).

Once you save the disclaimer as a global element, simply go to Templates (on your WordPress dashboard sidebar under Elementor) >> Saved templates and copy the shortcode into Ad Inserter and set it up where you want the disclaimers to show.

A plugin you might like:

UpdraftPlus WordPress backup plugin

So you might already have some measure of security and backups in place with your host, but I like to be DEAD sure I have my own backups just in case. I don't want to take risks and lose years of work, as well as my income if something goes south, and neither should you.

UpdraftPlus will let you make a copy of your site and save it to Dropbox (among other places), and it does it all on autopilot every week without you having to raise a finger after you do the initial setup.

Take 15 minutes to set this up now, one day you may be glad you did. :-)

Article I found interesting:

FTC disclosures: how to stay complaint

I know, not the most interesting of subject matter this week, but sometimes letting you know about what is happening on the boring side of blogging is more important than entertainment, and this is very important so I hope you'll forgive me. :-)

That's it for this week gang!

I hope you found Karen's Tuesday Tips helpful this week. As usual, let me know if you have any suggestions, tips, tricks or tools you would like me to share next week! :-)

Until then,
Karen
SBO MEDIA LLP, 704 N. King Street, Suite 500, Wilmington, De 19801, United States


No comments:

Post a Comment